Breakfast is the one meal of the day that I am more choosy about than any other. I rarely have the same thing 2 days running, and often can’t face breakfast at all. At present, I am alternating between gluten-free toast, fresh fruit and coconut yogurt, and my own recipe, granola.
I turned to making my own granola after finding most ready-made combinations either too sweet or so hard and dry that they were more tortuous to eat than enjoyable. This granola recipe is easy to make and is much tastier than anything I can buy, plus you can chop and change the flavourings to suit your taste and whatever you have in the cupboard. If you like dried fruit in your granola, it is better to stir it into to the tray of still warm, cooked ingredients once the tray is of the oven – this helps to keep the fruit soft and stops it drying out and hardening in the oven.
Makes 8 servings
- 175g thick milled or jumbo oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- 50g flaked coconut
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan oven, gas mark 2). Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Put the oats, salt and sugar in a large bowl and toss in the coconut, coconut oil and vanilla paste. Mix well until well coated in oil.
- Spread the mixture evenly across the tray. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring 3 times during baking, until lightly toasted. Leave to cool on the tray.
- Transfer to a clean storage jar and seal well. Delicious served with coconut rice milk and fresh berry fruits or sliced banana.
If I have them, I often add pecan pieces, flaked almonds or pumpkin seeds for extra crunch.
2 thoughts on “Coconut granola (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan)”